Friday, August 06, 2010

Museum Of Witchcraft, Boscastle

The Museum Of Witchcraft in Boscastle houses the world's largest collection of artifacts devoted to witchcraft in all its forms. It's a fascinating collection and I could have spent many more hours reading and looking at the vast range of material available.  The museum has a very open curatorial approach, mixing both the sacred and the profane, the highbrow with the lowbrow.  I was particularly intrigued by the poppets on display as I'd recently read both "The Uncanny" by Sigmund Freud and the catalogue of Mike Kelley's show of the same name.  I'm currently enjoying "A History of the Pendle Witches and Their Magic: Wicked Enchantments" by Joyce Froome and the wonderful collection of "Songs Of Witchcraft And Magic From The British Folk Tradition" which I came across in the museum's shop.

No comments: